Iran General NewsFormer head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards announces bid for...

Former head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards announces bid for presidency

-

AFP: The former head of Iran’s hardline Revolutionary Guards, Mohsen Rezai, announced on Monday that he will stand in presidential elections scheduled for mid-2005. “People need candidates who are efficient as well as politically serious,” Rezai told a news conference, adding that he had “clear plans for management and solving people’s problems.” AFP

TEHRAN – The former head of Iran’s hardline Revolutionary Guards, Mohsen Rezai, announced on Monday that he will stand in presidential elections scheduled for mid-2005.

“People need candidates who are efficient as well as politically serious,” Rezai told a news conference, adding that he had “clear plans for management and solving people’s problems.”

Rezai headed the Revolutionary Guards for some 16 years, from the early years of the revolution through the Iran-Iraq war to a stage where the force has become one of Iran’s most powerful institutions.

He is currently the secretary of the Expediency Council, the regime’s top political arbitration body.

While Rezai told reporters he was of a “revolutionary and radical nature”, he pledged that if elected president he would “use competent people of both (conservative and reformist) camps in my cabinet”.

Iran’s current president, the reformist Mohammad Khatami, is nearing the end of his second consecutive term. The constitution bars presidents from serving more than two consecutive mandates.

The presidential elections are scheduled to take place in May 2005.

So far a number of prominent conservative figures have signalled their intention to stand, including former state media boss Ali Larijani and former foreign minister Ali Akbar Velayati — both of whom are also close aides to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Influential former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, now the head of the Expediency Council, is also mulling a comeback as president but has yet to declare his intentions.

“I hope that the presence of prominent older revolutionaries is not an obstacle for serious competition with younger contenders,” said the 50-year-old Rezai when asked what he thought of Rafsanjani — seen as a pragmatic conservative — standing in the polls.

No reformist figure has yet to step forward.

Presidential candidates are subject to approval by the Guardians Council, an unelected body controlled by hardliners that vets all legislation and those seeking to be parliament deputies and president.

Rezai was at the centre of a storm in 1998 when his son, Ahmad, defected to arch enemy the United States.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Iran says won’t halt atomic work for “one second”

Reuters: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Sunday Iran...

Iran: The Increase of Protests Against Regime’s Police Blind Firing at the Porters in Western Borders

Op-ed By Jubin Katiraie Following the death of another...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you