Iran Economy NewsIran's oil minister: Replace foreign oil companies

Iran’s oil minister: Replace foreign oil companies

-

AP: Iran’s new oil minister says he wants the Revolutionary Guard’s economic conglomerate to replace foreign gas and oil companies, the official IRNA news agency reported.

The Associated Press

By NASSER KARIMI, Associated Press

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s new oil minister says he wants the Revolutionary Guard’s economic conglomerate to replace foreign gas and oil companies, the official IRNA news agency reported.

The minister, Rostam Qasemi, had been the chief of the economic conglomerate until his appointment last week to the government post.

The economic conglomerate, Khatam-ol-Anbiya, is the Revolutionary Guard’s most important economic unit and is the largest contractor of government projects including major oil and gas projects.

“Khatam-ol-Anbiya … should convert to a successor to foreign big companies,” Qasemi said, according to IRNA.

His remark is seen as a reaction to the pressure that sanctions are putting on foreign companies working in Iran. Several oil companies, including Total SA and Royal Dutch Shell, have withdrawn from the country over the past years. Some Chinese and Indian companies are still working there.

Qasemi said Khatam-ol-Anbia should be improved and said he still feels that he is still working for the Guard.

“I am assigned to the Oil Ministry, but I am obsessed by the Guards,” he said, according to IRNA.

Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari, chief of the Guards, also sought a bigger economic role for the unit.

“The Guards should have a pioneer role in the economic fronts in the country,” Jafari said, according to the semiofficial Mehr news agency. “There is a special expectation from the Oil Ministry. The sources should be spent for infrastructure projects.”

Khatam-ol-Anbiya has some $25 billion contracts in various oil and gas projects in Iran.

The United States accuses Khatam-ol-Anbiya of funneling revenues from its construction business back into Iran’s nuclear program, which Washington suspects aims to develop atomic weapons.

Tehran denies Western allegations that it is pursuing nuclear weapons and says its program is for peaceful purposes such as power generation.

Iran is in need of both foreign investment and technology to upgrade its vital oil industry, which represents some 80 percent of its foreign revenue.

Qasemi said Saturday that Iran will need some $40 billion in the current year to develop oil and gas fields.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran’s Super Crises: ‘Cruel Realities’ Leave Raisi Without Options

These days many Iranian officials admit to the country’s...

Iran threatens to carry out missile strikes on enemies

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jan. 28 – Iran threatened...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you