News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqIran kills 30 Kurdish rebels near Iraqi border

Iran kills 30 Kurdish rebels near Iraqi border

-

AP: Iran’s Revolutionary Guard soldiers have killed at least 30 members of Kurdish opposition group in fighting near the Iraqi border, a senior military official said Monday.

The Associated Press

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s Revolutionary Guard soldiers have killed at least 30 members of Kurdish opposition group in fighting near the Iraqi border, a senior military official said Monday.

Col. Hamid Ahmadi was quoted by state TV as saying that 40 other members of the Iranian Kurdish group PEJAK were injured during fierce clashes outside the border city of Sardasht.

PEJAK, which stands for the Party of Free Life of Kurdistan, has been involved in sporadic armed clashes with Iranian forces in recent years. The rebels say they are fighting for greater rights for their minority community.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard announced a new military offensive intended to drive PEJAK from positions in Iran last week, saying it resumed military operations after the expiration of a one-month deadline it had set for the group to leave the border region.

Tehran maintains it has the right to attack PEJAK’s bases across the border in Iraq and has accused residents of Iraq’s Kurdish north of providing a safe haven for the rebels. Iraqi Kurds control three provinces in northern Iraq that make up their autonomous region.

Iran has sporadically bombed PEJAK bases deep inside Iraq’s northern Kurdistan region.

Inside Iraq, meanwhile, a PEJAK spokesman declared an immediate, unilateral cease-fire on Monday. Shirzad Kamanger appealed for Iranian forces to stop shelling rebel bases and open talks over their demands for greater rights in Iran.

Ahmadi rejected the call.

“As a result of heavy Guard fire, they’ve asked for a cease-fire. … A cease-fire with a terrorist group doesn’t make any sense,” he was quoted as saying. “We want them to leave the border region before any dialogue can be held.”

Iran has publicly accused the president of Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdish region, Massoud Barzani, of providing bases to PEJAK without informing the central Iraqi government in Baghdad.

Iran has also accused the U.S., Britain and Israel of seeking to incite tension on Iran’s borders to undermine the government in Tehran — charges those three countries have denied.

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

Swiss Court Ruling Halts the Closure of Dr. Rajavi’s Assassination Investigation

The Swiss Federal Criminal Court issued a ruling on...

Text of Rice’s interview with Wall Street Journal on Iran

Iran Focus: London, Sep. 26 - The following are...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you