Iran General NewsIran bans 5 web sites for news comments

Iran bans 5 web sites for news comments

-

AP: Iranian authorities banned five Web sites that comment on current events for “poisoning” public opinion ahead of the crucial mid-March parliamentary elections, the state radio reported on Thursday. The Associated Press

By NASSER KARIMI

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iranian authorities banned five Web sites that comment on current events for “poisoning” public opinion ahead of the crucial mid-March parliamentary elections, the state radio reported on Thursday.

The move came two days after Iran’s hard-line constitutional watchdog reinstated more than 280 candidates, including 70 reformists, for the polls. Reformists have complained the reversal was insufficient to ensure a fair election.

In the past, the authorities have occasionally closed down some of the hundreds of private Web sites that comment on Iranian news and politics. But this was the first time they closed down five at once — a reflection of growing tension ahead of the March vote.

Even though the sites closed are thought to be either hardline or conservative, the move could also reflect an eagerness by the authorities to silence disparate voices to push through as critique-less a polling as possible.

The radio said Tehran General Prosecutor, Saeed Mortazavi, ordered the ban because the Web sites were “poisoning the electoral sphere.” It did not name any of the sites, but a report by Web site of state broadcasting company identified one of them as Nosazi, which in Farsi means Reconstruction. The site is considered hard-line and reflective of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s stance.

Earlier in February, Nosazi criticized Hassan Khomeini, a grandson of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, for his opposition to barring pro-democracy candidates from the election.

Khomeini’s name is revered across Iran and political factions or other groups rarely openly challenge members of his family, most of whom have stayed out of politics after his death in 1989. To say that the younger Khomeini was wrong can almost be considered taboo.

Calls placed to Iranian officials related to the Web shutdown were not immediately returned on Thursday, due to the start of the Muslim weekend in Iran.

The radio also said that two cultural advisers to Ahmadinejad denied any ties to Nosazi.

“Some accuse the government of having links with some Web sites. Any report on direct or indirect tie between the government and the Web sites is baseless,” the advisers, Mahdi Kalhor and Ali Akbar Javanfekr, said in a statement.

Last month, the Interior Ministry, run by hard-liners close to Ahmadinejad, disqualified more than 2,000 prospective candidates — most of them reformers — from running in the March elections.

Tuesday’s reinstating of hopefuls, including some reformists, for the parliament race, came after the Guardian Council, the country’s top body in charge of the elections, run by hard-liners close to Ahmadinejad, reversed the interior ministry ban. Out of the initial 7,200 prospective candidates registered, some 5,300 now remain in the running, including those reinstated, according to ministry figures.

The reinstating came amid growing criticism by both reformists and conservatives that a wide ban on eligible candidates would risk a low election turnout and undermine the polling.

The disqualification was reminiscent of 2004, when the Council barred thousands of reformists from running in that year’s parliament elections, allowing hard-liners to regain control of the 290-seat legislature. Reformists denounced the elections as a “historic fiasco.”

Key members of the council are hand-picked by Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on all state matters.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Iranian Regime Drone Attack on Office of Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, announced that his private office and the residence of...

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Must read

Iran blasts French action against Muslims

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Nov. 11 – Iranian Friday...

Iranian foreign minister heads to India

AFP: Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki was travelling to...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you