Iran General NewsIran defends new offices on disputed island

Iran defends new offices on disputed island

-

ImageAFP: Iran on Wednesday defended opening new offices on a disputed Gulf island and rejected Arab monarchies' condemnation of the move as "interference", the official IRNA news agency reported.

ImageTEHRAN (AFP) — Iran on Wednesday defended opening new offices on a disputed Gulf island and rejected Arab monarchies' condemnation of the move as "interference", the official IRNA news agency reported.

"All our country's measures on Abu Musa island are completely legal and in accordance with Iran's rights governing this Iranian island," foreign ministry spokesman Hassan Ghashghavi said in a statement.

Ghashghavi was reacting to a statement by the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council on Tuesday condemning the construction and calling for the closure of the offices on Abu Musa, which is also claimed by the United Arab Emirates.

Ghashghavi condemned the GCC statement as "interference in Iran's internal affairs" and branded the UAE's claims to Abu Musa and the Greater and Lesser Tunb islands as "repetitive, unfounded and rejected."

Tehran's establishment of a maritime rescue office and a ship registration office on Abu Musa island drew a formal protest from the UAE earlier this month.

Iran, then ruled by the Western-backed Shah, gained control of the three islands in 1971, as British forces granted independence to its Gulf protectorates.

Iran took possession of the Greater and Lesser Tunbs, while Abu Musa — the only inhabited island — was placed under joint administration under a deal with Sharjah, now part of the UAE.

But since then, the UAE says, the Iranians have taken control of all access to the strategic island, and installed an airport and military base there.

The oil-rich UAE has the full backing of fellow GCC states — Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia — in its claim to the islands.

It has repeatedly proposed resolving the dispute through direct negotiations or international arbitration, but Iran has always refused.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Arizona man pleads guilty to export try

AP: Federal prosecutors say an Arizona man has pleaded...

Iran’s Foreign Ministry appoints new spokesman

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jul. 21 - Iran’s Foreign...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you