Iran General NewsIran Guards deny siege on Iran opposition leader

Iran Guards deny siege on Iran opposition leader

-

AFP: Iran’s Revolutionary Guards on Sunday denied they and Islamist militiamen had besieged opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi’s home, but urged that the cleric and “seditionists” like him be tried.

TEHRAN, September 5, 2010 (AFP) – Iran’s Revolutionary Guards on Sunday denied they and Islamist militiamen had besieged opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi’s home, but urged that the cleric and “seditionists” like him be tried.

The Guards, in a statement carried by ILNA news agency, said that the siege on Karroubi’s home earlier this week was instigated by “rogue elements” who were not linked to the force or to the Basij militia.

“The incident was the work of imprudent and rogue elements. The instigators were completely rogue and unrelated to sacred organisations of Basij and Sepah (Guards),” it said.

Karroubi’s sahamnews.org website had reported that Guards and Basij men had surrounded the cleric’s home on Friday to prevent attendance at an annual pro-Palestinian rally, which last year saw anti-government protests.

It said militiamen had been gathering outside Karroubi’s residential building since last Sunday, and on Thursday night even “got inside the building after smashing down the door.”

“The attackers opened fire and threw Molotov cocktails at the building,” the website said, describing Thursday’s attack. It said Karroubi’s chief bodyguard was badly beaten and later went into a coma.

But the Guards condemned what they said was “hyping of a trivial issue,” adding that there was “shooting from his (Karroubi’s) residence which injured a few people.”

“We insist that the best way to deal with the seditionists is through a natural and popular trial,” the Guards said.

Karroubi and fellow opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi have steadfastly refused to acknowledge President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s government since his re-election last year.

Ever since the 1979 revolution, Iran has organised pro-Palestinian marches on the last Friday of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

But last year the opposition used such government-sponsored rallies to organise protests against Ahmadinejad’s controversial re-election that June.

Iran’s hardliners have regularly called for prosecution of Karroubi and Mousavi, calling them “heads of sedition.”

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

Oil rebounds $2 on Iran missile tests

Reuters: Oil rose $2 to near $138 a barrel...

Ahmadinejad: Iran will not renounce nuclear rights

AFP: President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad insisted on Monday that Iran...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you