Iran General NewsPompeo’s Visit to Europe May Yield a Unified Iran...

Pompeo’s Visit to Europe May Yield a Unified Iran Strategy

-

The two-day visit by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Brussels

By Pooya Stone

The two-day visit by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Brussels is an incredible opportunity to address several important issues regarding cross-Atlantic relations, especially the threat posed by Iran, and create a unified strategy to deal with them, according to former Italian foreign minister Giulio Terzi.

Terzi, a member of United Against Nuclear Iran’s Advisory Board, wrote that American officials see this as a chance to “reset” the relationship between the US and Europe and that European officials hopefully feel the same. Iran has shown increased aggression towards commercial shipping in the Middle East, something exemplified by the seizure of a British-flagged vessel in mid-July and several attacks on other tankers in May and June before the US launched an attack on a key part on Iran’s cyberinfrastructure that was used to plot the tanker attacks.

The UK has directed its warships to the Middle East for the foreseeable future to protect British shipping by shadowing vessels through the Strait of Hormuz, but Europe as a whole is failing to recognise that the Iranian threat extends to them as well.

Terzi wrote: “The EU may be able to fool itself into believing that the naval activities of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps have been directed only against the US and Britain, even though seized and damaged tankers have born the flags of various countries including Norway and Japan. But no such self-deception can be justified when it comes to the threat of terrorism originating in or backed by Tehran.”

He spoke about several of the bomb plots and planned assassinations across the West in 2018 alone that were foiled by Western authorities, highlighting that these weren’t limited to countries that enforced economic sanctions against Iran. Then Terzi goes into detail about the biggest example of Iranian terrorism last June, where high-ranking Iranian diplomat Assadollah Assadi plotted to bomb the National Council of Resistance of Iran’s Free Iran rally in Paris, using a couple of Iranian agents living in Belgium to plant the explosive. The event is normally attended by 100,000 people, including hundreds of dignitaries from Western and international policy circles.

Terzi wrote: “Had the plot been successful, it would have not only taken place on European soil but would have almost certainly claimed European lives. If one is aware of this incident, one cannot deny that the Iranian threat to the international community is genuine, severe, and far-reaching.”

Assadi and his accomplices are currently awaiting trial in Belgium, but it is clear that this plot was signed off on by Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani and Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. That’s why it’s so worrying that French President Emmanuel Macron told his security chiefs to keep silent about last year’s terror plot.

Hopefully, Pompeo’s visit will convince Europe to hold Iran to account for its crimes and punish all those responsible for terrorism in Europe and around the world.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Iranian Regime Drone Attack on Office of Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region of Iraq

Masrour Barzani, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, announced that his private office and the residence of...

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Must read

Iran Continues Its Hostage-Taking to Gain Geopolitical and Financial Concessions

Iran Focus London, 13 Oct - Nazanin Ratcliffe is...

Iran Convention in Brussels urges EU support for ‘Third Option’

Iran Focus: Brussels, Apr. 25 – Some 2,000 delegates...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you