Iran General NewsIran accuses “foreigners” of masterminding bombings

Iran accuses “foreigners” of masterminding bombings

-

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jan. 24 – Iran accused foreigners on Tuesday of masterminding dual bombings in the southern oil-rich city of Ahwaz that left at least eight people dead and dozens injured. Iran Focus

Tehran, Iran, Jan. 24 – Iran accused foreigners on Tuesday of masterminding dual bombings in the southern oil-rich city of Ahwaz that left at least eight people dead and dozens injured.

Interior Minister Mostafa Pour-Mohammadi said that the explosions were part of a pattern of “blind moves” orchestrated from beyond the borders.

One of the blasts occurred minutes after 10 am inside one of Ahwaz’s banks. The ceiling of Saman Bank collapsed and parts of it were set ablaze, the bank’s manager told state-run news agencies.

The head of the Medical Faculty of the city’s university announced that there were at least eight confirmed fatalities and 46 injuries.

A second blast was caused by a sonic-boom at the Natural Resources Organisation.

“Since the incident occurred, enemy mouthpieces have become active and it is clear they have been expecting such an event”, Pour-Mohammadi told lawmakers at a session of the Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, the official state-run news agency reported.

“When the ill-wishers of the system fail to meet their objectives through usual means, they resort to such moves; but definitely such acts will have no effect on the will of our people”, he said.

After a spate of similar bombings in Ahwaz last year, a string of top government officials, including President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, hinted at a British government role in the attacks, which followed a spate of popular uprising in the volatile region that left dozens of residents killed or wounded. London has repeatedly denied any involvement.

In November, the country’s intelligence chief told reporters that Tehran had finally proven the role of the United Kingdom in the October bombings.

Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ezhei, a radical Shiite cleric who runs Iran’s dreaded secret police, the Ministry of Intelligence and Security (MOIS), said that all those responsible for carrying out the November bombings had been arrested and had direct links to Britain.

“All the elements behind the bombings and disruptions in Ahwaz have been identified and arrested. The cases against some of them after being completed in the Ministry of Intelligence and Security were sent to the judiciary and are in their final stages”, Ezhei said.

“Some of those arrested are still at the disposal of the Intelligence Ministry for further questioning and interrogation”, the intelligence chief said.

“Some of these networks had direct links to foreign elements including the British government”, he added.

Iran has also blamed Canada for another spate of bombings in Ahwaz earlier last year. Tehran has not produced any documents yet to substantiate its charges against London and Ottawa.

On Tuesday, Al-Manar television, run by Lebanese Hezbollah, reported that the attacks were targeting Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The report said that after learning of possible attacks, Ahmadinejad had cancelled his trip.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Iranians shell Kurdish rebel haven in northern Iraq

AFP: Iranian forces bombarded northern Iraq's rugged Bashdar region...

Nigeria reports Iran arms seizure to U.N.

Reuters: Nigeria has reported the seizure of an illegal...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you