Iran General NewsBeckett: no-one intends to attack Iran

Beckett: no-one intends to attack Iran

-

Daily Telegraph: Margaret Beckett has echoed her Foreign Office predecessor Jack Straw’s firm stance on Iran, insisting that no-one intends to take military action against the state. Daily Telegraph

Margaret Beckett has echoed her Foreign Office predecessor Jack Straw’s firm stance on Iran, insisting that no-one intends to take military action against the state.

But the new Foreign Secretary stopped short of adopting Mr Straw’s strong language on the subject.

Jack Straw went on record several times saying that a military strike on Iran was “inconceivable”, prompting speculation that he had been sacked because of his unequivocal stance.

Yesterday, Tony Blair dismissed such claims as “utterly absurd” and said he had no doubt that foreign policy would “not change one iota” under Mrs Beckett.

Asked whether she also believed a military strike on Iran was inconceivable, Mrs Beckett said: “You’re inviting me to tread down the path of talking about military action – I’m not going to do that.

“Everybody expresses their views, their stance, in their own way. The way that I choose to express it is that it’s not anybody’s intention to take the course of military action.

“That I think is simple and straightforward and clear.”

Just three days after getting the job she was thrown in at the diplomatic deep end, heading to New York for her first meeting with her American counterpart Condoleezza Rice and discussions with other foreign ministers aimed at finding a common approach towards Teheran.

Mrs Beckett said she, the American Secretary of State and their colleagues from France, Germany, Russia and China had not discussed the text of a proposed resolution demanding that Iran ends its uranium enrichment work – a key step in developing a nuclear bomb.

But she said they were all agreed that no-one wanted Iran to have nuclear weapons and that it should stop enrichment work.

Officials had a “good deal of work” to do when they come back to the negotiating table this morning to try to reach an agreement on a resolution, against the background of “clear common ground” on objectives, she added.

“What people are concerned to do is to get Iran to recognise the strong view and the clear will of the international community that they should comply with the IEAE (International Atomic Energy Agency) board.”

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Austria considers recalling ambassador to Iran

AFP: Austria is considering recalling its ambassador to Tehran...

Iran Regime’s JCPOA: Surrender or Remorse

Since the new round of nuclear negotiations began, the...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you