Iran General NewsIranian health minister denies human bird flu cases

Iranian health minister denies human bird flu cases

-

Reuters: Iran’s health minister on Tuesday denied that tests on two dead pneumonia patients had shown they had the deadly H5N1 bird flu virus and insisted the results were negative. GENEVA (Reuters) – Iran’s health minister on Tuesday denied that tests on two dead pneumonia patients had shown they had the deadly H5N1 bird flu virus and insisted the results were negative.

Health Minister Kamran Lankarani told Reuters on the sidelines of the annual meeting of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva: “Fortunately, these two cases were negative for avian flu. There is no confirmed case til now.”

On Monday, an Iranian medical official in the country said tests on the bodies of a brother and sister who died after falling ill with pneumonia-like symptoms in the northwestern city of Kermanshah showed they had the deadly H5N1 strain.

Samples have been sent to international laboratories for further tests, and if the initial results are confirmed, these would be the first human bird flu deaths in Iran.

But in Cairo, the WHO’s regional adviser for emerging diseases, Hassan al-Bushra, said the agency had also been told that the results in Iran were negative for bird flu.

“The (Iranian) director general for center of disease control, ministry of health and medical education has verbally informed the WHO office in Iran that there have been no H5N1 positive human cases reported so far,” he said.

He said so far WHO’s regional office had not received any samples from Iran for testing.

The virus has killed people in neighboring Turkey, Iraq and Azerbaijan in recent months, while Afghanistan has had outbreaks in poultry. Iran found the virus in wild swans in February.

The Iranian siblings, a brother aged 41 and sister, 26, were among five family members who fell ill.

“They had all returned from a trip to the town of Marivan when they fell ill with symptoms of staphylococcal pneumonia,” an Iranian medical official told Reuters in Tehran, adding that the brother and sister had tested positive locally for H5N1.

Lankarani said Iran had tightened its surveillance since cases were detected in neighboring states.

“This was alarming and a signal to us, so we strengthened surveillance,” he said.

Latest news

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Spanish Daily El Debate: Inside Iran, an Organized Resistance Endures Against the Regime’s Wartime Crackdown

In an analytical report published by the Spanish daily El Debate, Firouz Mahvi, Political Director of the Brussels office...

Political Prisoner Denied Treatment in Greater Tehran Prison

The physical condition of Hamid Haj-Jafar Kashani, a political prisoner held in Tehran Great Prison, has reportedly become concerned...

Iran’s Regime Cuts Food Voucher Benefits Under ‘Overseas Resident’ Label

In its latest move against low-income segments of society, the Iranian regime has suspended food voucher benefits for a...

Canada Sanctions Five Political and Military Officials of the Iranian Regime

The Canadian government announced on Friday, August 14, that it had imposed sanctions on five military and political officials...

Must read

WikiLeaks: Chevron eyed oil deal involving Iran

AP: Chevron Corp. expressed interest in developing oil reserves...

EU-Iran nuclear talks to resume Sunday in Vienna

AFP: Last-ditch EU-Iran nuclear talks are to continue on...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you