Iran General NewsFIFA lift ban on Iran for Asian Games

FIFA lift ban on Iran for Asian Games

-

AFP: World football’s governing body FIFA has temporarily lifted its ban on Iran so it can take part in the Asian Games football competition after frantic behind the scenes manoeuvering. DUBAI, Nov 27, 2006 (AFP) – World football’s governing body FIFA has temporarily lifted its ban on Iran so it can take part in the Asian Games football competition after frantic behind the scenes manoeuvering.

“The ban has been provisionally lifted. The team can participate in the Asian Games,” FIFA president Sepp Blatter said in Dubai.

It followed what Blatter called “alarming phone calls” from Iranian authorities and the country’s ambassadors in Europe after Iran, the defending champions, were tossed out of the Asian Games which start this week in Qatar.

“We have agreed with Iran a route that needs to be respected. We have given them until December 5 to do so,” he said without going into details.

“In the meantime, together with the Asian Football Confederation, we have agreed to make sure they can participate in the Asian Games.
“If they fully agree to our roadmap to a normalisation of the situation, then we will lift the ban altogether.

“If the promises are not applied, then the ban will remain effective and it will affect the Asian Cup draw (on December 19).

FIFA suspended Iran last week due to government interference in running the game and non-adherence to their statutes.

FIFA’s Emergency Committee said Tehran had violated Article 17 of the FIFA Statute, which relates to the independence of national football associations free of any government interference.

In August, following the national team’s World Cup failure in Germany, the Iranian football federation’s elected president, Mohammed Dadkan, was sacked, following complaints by lawmakers.

Both FIFA and the AFC set a November 15 deadline for Iran to reinstate Dadkan and to comply with the FIFA statutes, but Iran refused to meet the deadline.
Iran football chief Dariush Mostafavi said they would now work to meeting FIFA’s demands.

“We have informed FIFA that we will adhere to all of their requests,” he was quoted as saying by Iranian national news agency ISNA.

“We plan to announce our commitment to FIFA and finalise the agreement to bring an end to the suspension of the national team.”

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Weapons from Iran discovered in Iraq’s port city

Iran Focus: Baghdad, Aug. 16 – An array of...

Iran dismisses U.S. concern over held Iranian-Americans

Reuters: Iran said on Tuesday it did not need...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you