NewsSpecial WireIran’s Interior Ministry cannot confirm deaths of insurgents

Iran’s Interior Ministry cannot confirm deaths of insurgents

-

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Apr. 05 – Iran’s Interior Ministry has sent a statement to state-run press saying that it was unable to confirm the deaths of twelve Iranian dissidents belonging to a group that took responsibility for an armed attack in March on a convoy of government officials in Iran’s south-eastern province of Sistan-va-Baluchistan. Iran Focus

Tehran, Iran, Apr. 05 – Iran’s Interior Ministry has sent a statement to state-run press saying that it was unable to confirm the deaths of twelve Iranian dissidents belonging to a group that took responsibility for an armed attack in March on a convoy of government officials in Iran’s south-eastern province of Sistan-va-Baluchistan.

Earlier on Wednesday, the government-run news agency Fars quoted an unnamed government official as saying that Abdolmalek Reigi, the leader of the group calling itself Jondollah, and 11 members of his group were killed in clashes with security forces on Iran’s border with Afghanistan.

The Interior Ministry statement said that there was no “precise information” for it to be able to confirm the report.

Hundreds of people have been arrested in Iran’s south-eastern province of after the ambush on a government convoy carrying dozens of provincial officials in March.

The majority of those arrested were Baluchis, a predominantly Sunni Muslim ethnic minority, who the authorities have claimed have ties to the attackers.

Twenty-two Iranian government and provincial officials were killed and at least seven, including the governor of the city of Zahedan, were critically wounded in the ambush as their convoy was returning from Zabol to Zahedan in the early hours of March 17. A further seven were taken hostage.

Hours after the attack, Iran’s police chief, Brigadier General Ismaeil Ahmadi-Moqaddam, announced there was evidence that the assailants had held meetings with British intelligence officers.

Iran’s Interior Minister also pointed the finger at Britain and the United States for masterminding the attack.

Iran has witnessed escalating unrest in recent months in areas populated by Baluchis, who complain of discriminatory and repressive policies by the theocratic regime.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

EU and Iran flatly disagree as they meet on Iranian nuclear program

AFP: Negotiators from Iran and the European Union met...

Iran to enrich uranium to 20% as nuclear fears grow

BBC: Iran has told the UN's nuclear watchdog it...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you