Iran Nuclear NewsIran working 'continuously' to expand nuclear programme

Iran working ‘continuously’ to expand nuclear programme

-

AFP: Iran on Tuesday said it was working “continuously” to expand its nuclear programme at an ultra-sensitive facility, in defiance of UN calls on Tehran to stop controversial atomic activities. by Stuart Williams

TEHRAN, April 17, 2007 (AFP) – Iran on Tuesday said it was working “continuously” to expand its nuclear programme at an ultra-sensitive facility, in defiance of UN calls on Tehran to stop controversial atomic activities.

“We are employing the maximum effort to realise our projects in Natanz. Today in Natanz there is a continuous movement to install the centrifuges,” the head of Iran’s atomic energy agency Gholam Reza Aghazadeh said.

Iran has said it ultimately wants to install 50,000 uranium enriching centrifuges at the plant in Natanz, central Iran, although its medium-term goal was to put in place 3,000 units.

Aghazadeh’s comments to the ISNA news agency come a week after Iran announced that its work at Natanz to enrich uranium — a process the West fears could be
used to make nuclear weapons — had reached an “industrial” scale.

However Aghazadeh once again refused to reveal how many centrifuges Iran has installed at the plant, a reluctance that has created uncertainty about how far
advanced is the Iranian nuclear programme.

“There is nothing unusual in announcing no figures,” he said. Iran has repeatedly dismissed statements from Western observers casting doubt on its announcement of reaching industrial scale enrichment.

He reaffirmed that Iran “would continue with the installation until it has 50,000 centrifuges”, saying that this process could take between 2-4 years depending on the circumstances.

The UN Security Council has already imposed two sets of sanctions on Iran over its refusal to suspend uranium enrichment, and the Islamic republic faces further punitive measures if it does not comply.

The United States has refused to rule out the option of military action against Iran should sanctions fail to work. Iran insists that its nuclear programme is peaceful.

International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Mohamed ElBaradei said last week that Iran had installed only “hundreds” of centrifuges at Natanz, well short of its medium-term goal of 3,000.

More precise information could come from UN nuclear inspectors who left Iran on Sunday evening after a regular visit, although their findings are not expected to be made public immediately.

Uranium enrichment is the main sticking point in the crisis between Iran and world powers as the process can be used both to make nuclear fuel for power stations and for atomic weapons, which Iran insists it has not ambition to have.

Iran has so far rejected Western demands that it suspends enrichment — a position that is again being hammered home by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as he addresses rallies on a five-day trip to the southern Fars province.

Aghazadeh called on European countries to return to the negotiating table — something they have so far refused to do unless Tehran suspends enrichment.

“The moment for the serious negotiations about the non-deviation of the Iranian nuclear programme has arrived,” said Aghazadeh.

“Iran has achieved its objectives in its enrichment of uranium and is now ready to remove the worries of the other countries on the non-deviation of its nuclear programme.”

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran military hints at Strait of Hormuz blockade

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Apr. 05 – The Supreme...

No, it’s not really World War III

New York Times: If what they say has unforeseen...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you