Iran Nuclear NewsGermany set on halting Iran nuclear arms

Germany set on halting Iran nuclear arms

-

AP: Germany’s foreign minister said Thursday that the international community remains determined to prevent Iran from developing technology for nuclear weapons, despite U.S. assessments saying Tehran has stopped working on an arms program. The Associated Press

By GEORGE JAHN

VIENNA, Austria (AP) — Germany’s foreign minister said Thursday that the international community remains determined to prevent Iran from developing technology for nuclear weapons, despite U.S. assessments saying Tehran has stopped working on an arms program.

Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier spoke before a briefing by Mohamed ElBaradei, chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency, on the U.N. nuclear agency chief’s recent meeting with top Iranian leaders.

Germany and the five permanent U.N. Security Council members plan to meet Tuesday in Berlin for talks that diplomats say will include attempts to iron out differences on the language and timing of a third set of sanctions for Tehran’s refusal to freeze uranium enrichment and meet other council demands.

“The conflict over Iran’s nuclear program remains … on the agenda,” he said, despite U.S. intelligence assessment last months concluding that Tehran stopped active work on a nuclear weapons program in 2003. “The problem is not solved.”

Urging Iran to “resurrect international confidence” in its nuclear intentions, Steinmeier said the international community “cannot and will not allow that technology for nuclear weapons.”

He was alluding primarily to uranium enrichment, which Iran says it wants for nuclear power but which also can serve to create the fissile core of nuclear warheads. Iran refuses to mothball the program despite two sets of U.N. sanctions.

Russia and China have been more opposed to quick and harsh new sanctions since the new U.S. intelligence estimate.

But Steinmeier papered over those differences, saying ministers attending the Berlin meeting will focus on making sure to express international unity on the need for Iran to heed Security Council demands.

The State Department said Wednesday that Washington had no plans to change its sanctions strategy in dealing with Iran.

“The whole strategy here is to use various kinds of diplomatic pressure at a gradually increasing rate to try to get a different set of decisions out of the Iranian leadership,” spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters.

Officials said Iran promised ElBaradei officials would answer all remaining questions about Tehran’s past nuclear work within four weeks, including secret activities that the U.S. suspects were linked to a weapons program.

The probe originally was slated to be completed in December, and the United States and its allies have been chafing at the delay, according to diplomats accredited to the IAEA. But they are unlikely to object publicly if the extension allows ElBaradei to reveal details of such secret programs.

In agreeing to the IAEA probe last year, Iran agreed to answer all lingering questions about its past nuclear activities — including those it has evaded since 2003, when nearly 20 years of Iranian clandestine atomic work were revealed.

Diplomats have told The Associated Press that the IAEA probe is now using evidence provided by the U.S. and its close allies to back its allegations. One said Sunday that the IAEA recently shared some of the formerly classified information with Iran, with Washington’s permission, to aid with the probe.

Among the material is data on a laptop computer reportedly smuggled out of Iran. In 2005, U.S. intelligence said that information suggested that the country had been working on details for nuclear weapons, including missile trajectories and ideal altitudes for exploding warheads.

The IAEA also is interested in activities at a former research center at Lavizan-Shian, which Iran razed before allowing agency inspectors access. The center is believed to have been the repository of equipment bought by the Iranian military that could be used in a nuclear weapons program.

Associated Press writer Veronika Oleksyn contributed to this report.

On the Net:
http://www.iaea.org

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran: Khamenei’s Miscalculation!

By Jubin Katiraie After the Iran protests in November,...

Britain, US late to predict Iran’s Islamic revolution: documents

AFP: Britain and the United States clung to the...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you