Iran Nuclear NewsRussia doubts Iran's commitment to nuclear deal: Lavrov

Russia doubts Iran’s commitment to nuclear deal: Lavrov

-

AFP: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov voiced doubt on Thursday about whether Tehran would fulfill the terms of a deal brokered by Brazil and Turkey aimed at resolving the Iranian nuclear crisis.

MOSCOW (AFP) — Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov voiced doubt on Thursday about whether Tehran would fulfill the terms of a deal brokered by Brazil and Turkey aimed at resolving the Iranian nuclear crisis.

“There are no 100 percent guarantees. Very much will depend on how Iran will approach its commitments. If it strictly abides by them, Russia will actively support the scheme proposed by Brazil and Turkey,” Lavrov said.

Signed last week, the deal calls for Iran to deposit a large part of its uranium stockpile in Turkey in exchange for better-enriched nuclear fuel destined for a research reactor in Tehran.

“We welcome this deal. If fully implemented, it will create very important preconditions not just for the solution of the concrete problem — supplies of fuel for this reactor — but for improving the atmosphere for the renewal of negotiations,” Lavrov said in televised remarks.

But Lavrov gave no indication of how the deal might affect Russia’s stance on a US-drafted resolution in the UN Security Council calling for Iran to be punished with a new round of sanctions.

Later on Thursday, Lavrov spoke by telephone to his Iranian counterpart Manouchehr Mottaki to discuss Tehran’s nuclear programme and the Brazil-Turkey agreement, the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement.

“Russia expressed its readiness to actively support the advancement of the process of negotiation aimed at resolving the situation surrounding the Iranian nuclear programme,” the statement said.

Russia has continued to back the push for UN sanctions despite the signing of the Brazil-Turkey deal, angering Iran and leading to a heated exchange this week between Russian and Iranian officials.

The deal spearheaded by Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was seen as a last-ditch bid to avoid the new UN sanctions.

But it was received coolly by Western governments, who suspect Tehran of seeking to acquire an atomic bomb under the guise of its civilian nuclear energy programme.

Tehran denies that it is seeking to build atomic weapons and insists that its nuclear programme is strictly peaceful in nature.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Foreign Minister says Iran will reject EU nuclear deal

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, May 15 – Iran’s Foreign...

Senior Majlis official says Iran on top in nuke showdown

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jan. 14 – A prominent...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you