Iran Nuclear NewsIran Rejects Macron's Missile Talks

Iran Rejects Macron’s Missile Talks

-

Iran Focus

London, 13 Nov – The Iranian Regime has rejected calls from the French President Emmanuel Macron to hold talks over their ballistic missiles programme, claiming on Sunday that the programme was purely “defensive” and unrelated to the 2015 nuclear agreement between Iran and six world powers.

This comes shortly after Macron expressed concern over Iran’s ballistic missile program on Thursday- citing an Iranian missile fired at Saudi Arabia by the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen earlier this month- and raised the issue of international sanctions related to Iran’s missile programme.

He told the Al-Ittihad media outlet: “There are negotiations we need to start on Iran’s ballistic missile… It is important to remain firm with Iran over its regional activities and its ballistic program.”

However, Bahram Qassemi, the spokesperson for the Iranian Foreign Ministry rejected this outright in a statement of the ministry’s website.

He said: “France is fully aware of our country’s firm position that Iran’s defence affairs are not negotiable. We have told French officials repeatedly that the nuclear deal is not negotiable and other issues will not be allowed to be added to it.”

Iran has also claimed that they have no plans to build nuclear-capable missiles.

France is not the only nation to agree with Saudi Arabia’s assessment that Iran is attacking them with ballistic missiles using their terrorist proxies, the Houthis.

Last Tuesday, the United States accused Iran of supplying the Houthi rebels with the missile that they fired at Saudi Arabia in July.

As a result, Nikki Hayley, the US Ambassador called on the UN to hold Iran accountable for violating two UN Security Council resolutions; one on the development of ballistic missiles which surround the 2015 nuclear deal and one of arming the Houthis.

Saudi Arabia and its allies have stated that the Iranian Regime is supplying missiles and other deadly weapons to the Houthis, noting that these weapons did not exist in Yemen when fighting broke out in 2015.

Macron also noted that he wished to hold talks about Iran’s threat to regional security.

As Macron has previously told Iranian President Hassan Rouhani that France has no immediate plans to leave the much-criticised Iranian nuclear deal which, in theory, is supposed to curb Iran’s nuclear activities and has been trying to salvage it since Donald Trump’s decertification in October, the Iranian Regime should probably heed to his more than reasonable request on ballistic missiles. Otherwise, France may well leave as well, pulling the EU countries away from the deal as well.

The nuclear deal, signed with Germany, France, Britain, China, Russia and the United States, is looking more and more fragile by the day. While it is necessary to punish Iran for its violations through sanctions, it is also a viable option to pull out entirely.

Latest news

The Role of Students and Universities in Iran’s Nationwide Uprising

In the national uprising of the people of Iran, which started in mid-September this year, the students played a...

Snapback Sanctions, a Must Response to Iran’s Human Rights Abuse and JCPOA Violations

The protests in Iran have been going on for more than two months, even though the regime is cracking...

Growing Disintegration Among Iran Regime’s Forces

Iran has been shaken by a wave of nationwide protests since mid-September. The trigger was the death of the...

Grim Tidings for Iran’s Regime After Approval of UN Fact-Finding Mission

After many discussions and debates, the United Nations Human Rights Council has approved a fact-finding mission to investigate the...

Iranian People’s Resistance Changed the Appeasement Policy

Soon after the new US government started its obligations in January 2021, hand in hand with the European governments...

Khamenei’s Disgraceful Campaign Against Piranshahr and Javanrud, Who Will Be the Loser?

On the 67th day of Iran’s revolution, the Iranian regime attempted to put a halt to the protests in...

Must read

Floods kills three in northwest Iran – report

Reuters: Heavy rain and flooding has killed three people...

Intelligence report lists Iran and cyberattacks as leading concerns

New York Times: Some senior Iranian leaders are now...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you