Iran General NewsKuwait Worried About Iran Threat to Close Shipping Lane

Kuwait Worried About Iran Threat to Close Shipping Lane

-

hormuz-strait

By Jubin Katiraie

Kuwait officials have voiced their “concern” over Iran’s threat to close down the Strait of Hormuz, the only sea passage from the Persian Gulf to the open ocean, in response to US sanctions, because Kuwait is one of the countries that will be adversely affected if Iran follows through.

Kuwait’s deputy foreign minister Mr Jarallah told Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) on Sunday: “We are looking at these threats with concern, and hoping as always to distance our region from this tension.”

The Strait of Hormuz is a highly strategic waterway for shipping oil and Iran’s threat to close one of the globe’s most significant choke points could send shockwaves around the world, with oil-producing Middle Eastern nations being the worst affected.

Alireza Tangsiri, head of the Revolutionary Guard Corps naval force told the semi-official Iranian state media, Fars: “If we are prevented from using it, we will close it. In the event of any threats, we will not have the slightest hesitation to protect and defend Iran’s waterway.”

This announcement came shortly after the Donald Trump administration announced last week that it would allow sanctions waivers for Iran’s eight biggest oil importers to expire in early May. This means that from May 2, China, India, Turkey, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Italy, and Greece will have to stop importing Iranian oil or face penalties from the US.

The week before, the US officially labelled the IRGC a terrorist group, which was the first time that the US has ever labelled a part of another country’s government as a terror group.

Tensions have been rising between the US and Iran ever since Trump pulled the US out of a nuclear accord in May 2018, calling the deal “decaying and rotten”. The Iran Nuclear Deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), was designed to curb Iran’s nuclear programme.

Importantly, experts doubt that Iran could really close the Strait of Hormuz.

Last Monday, Analysts at Eurasia Group published a research note which read: “Iran’s threat to close the Strait of Hormuz was a reflexive response that we do not take at face value. But we have long warned about the Iranian cyber threat, especially the prospect that Tehran could take down Saudi oil infrastructure. The risk is higher because Riyadh is playing an integral role in enabling the Trump administration’s harsher stance. The disruption of Saudi oil production could systematically rattle markets.”

Latest news

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Cost of Living Basket Several Times Higher Than Iranian Workers’ Wages

Workers' cost of living has come under pressure from inflation and low wages. July inflation data point to intensifying...

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Must read

Iran police confiscate mannequins in new crackdown

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Oct. 31 – Police in...

Iran Loses 360 Square Meters of Its Nature Every Second

The destructions and losses that the mullahs’ rule in...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you