Iran Nuclear NewsU.S. Ready to Delay Showdown on Iran

U.S. Ready to Delay Showdown on Iran

-

AP: Apparently lacking the votes to win, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice indicated Wednesday the Bush administration was prepared to delay again a showdown with Iran over its nuclear weapons program.
Associated Press

By BARRY SCHWEID

AP Diplomatic Writer

NEW YORK – Apparently lacking the votes to win, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice indicated Wednesday the Bush administration was prepared to delay again a showdown with Iran over its nuclear weapons program.

Describing efforts to constrain Iran from producing nuclear weapons, Rice said “the world is not perfect in international politics. You cannot always get a 100 percent solution.”

Rice last week appealed openly to China, Russia, India and other nations to support threatening Iran with sanctions for refusing to halt its nuclear program.

“Iran needs to get a message from the international community that is a unified message,” Rice said Friday at a news conference.

But Russia quickly registered its opposition to trying to impose sanctions now on Iran in the U.N. Security Council, and the White House acknowledged Wednesday that President Bush was unable to get a commitment from Chinese President Hu Jintao.

The Bush administration had been expected to turn to the U.N. Security Council to pressure Iran to resume negotiations with the European Union after the board of governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency meets next Monday.

But in an interview Wednesday with the Fox News Editorial Board, Rice took a step backward.

“I am not so concerned about exactly when it happens,” Rice said, “because I don’t think this matter is so urgent that it has to come on Sept. 19.”

She said the goal now was mostly to send a “political message” to Iran that it that it just cannot break out of a commitment not to engage in nuclear weapons preparations “and have everybody say, well, OK.”

The problem, she said, is there was a “lot of consensus” on the goal of having negotiations with the European Union resume. But, she said, there was “a lot of difference about tactics.”

The European Union has taken the lead in trying to persuade Iran to halt development of nuclear weapons in exchange for economic concessions. But Rice said “the question is, how much support can you bring that is non-European support.”

“That’s really more the issue,” she said.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Lays Groundwork for Raising Gasoline Prices

As economic and financial pressure on the Iranian regime intensifies, Iranian regime president Masoud Pezeshkian has once again laid...

Iranian Regime Parliament Speaker: If People Are Hungry, We Will Not Survive

Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, the speaker of the Iranian regime’s Majlis (parliament), warned about the consequences of the economic crisis...

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Must read

Iran’s Bakers Face A Sharp Decrease In Flour Rations

The sharp decrease in the allocation of flour to...

Iran’s Ahmadinejad: No place for Israel in region

AP: Iran’s president says there will be no room...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you