Iran Nuclear NewsG8 urges Iran to respond to nuclear incentives

G8 urges Iran to respond to nuclear incentives

-

ImageReuters: The Group of Eight nations urged Iran on Friday to respond positively to the latest in a series of Western incentives that have so far failed to persuade Tehran to curb its nuclear activities.

ImageKYOTO, Japan (Reuters) – The Group of Eight nations urged Iran on Friday to respond positively to the latest in a series of Western incentives that have so far failed to persuade Tehran to curb its nuclear activities.

Iran says its uranium enrichment programme is for civilian nuclear power purposes, but other governments suspect it may be intended for nuclear weapons. Three European governments, along with China, Russia and the United States have offered Tehran an economic package in return for the abandonment of its programme.

"We call on Iran to respond to the updated incentives plan in a constructive manner," foreign ministers of the G8 rich countries said in a statement issued after a two-day meeting in Kyoto, Japan.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was reported as saying on Thursday that Iran's "enemies" would never stop its nuclear activities. Iranian officials usually refer to the United States and its European allies as "enemies".

The European Union agreed new sanctions on Monday targeting businesses and individuals the West says are linked to Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile programmes. The measures include a freeze on the assets of Iran's largest bank, Bank Melli.

In response, Iran said it would withdraw its assets from the EU, a report said this week.

The G8 foreign ministers also urged Iran to be more cooperative in dealings in its regional neighbourhood. Western governments have accused Tehran of obstructing the Middle East peace process and fomenting violence in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We also urge Iran to act in a more responsible and constructive manner in the region, especially with regard to the Middle East peace process and the stability of Iraq and Afghanistan," the statement said.

The ministers agreed that the dual-track approach of sanctions and diplomacy should be continued to reach a diplomatic solution on Iran's nuclear programme and to engage in negotiations with the international community, the statement said.

(Reporting by Isabel Reynolds; Editing by John Chalmers)

Latest news

40 million Iranians Below Poverty Line

Iran’s economy entered the year 2026 while many economists and regime-affiliated research institutions warned that the country has entered...

Telecommunications Employees in Tehran Protest Four Years of Unpaid Claims

Four years of non-payment of overdue telecommunications wages have pushed employees’ livelihoods to the brink of collapse. According to...

US Prepares for Another War with the Iranian Regime

Images released from the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 11, led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, show that...

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Must read

Iran-inspired Muslim revival worries West – general

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Feb. 25 – A senior...

Former homeland officials: De-list Iranian opposition group

CQ: Two top homeland security officials in the George...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you